If you think sleep is nothing more than a passive state of unconsciousness, then it’s time to think again. The more scientists learn about sleep, the more apparent it becomes that sleep is both a natural wonder and a key component of health and wellness.
Sleep is a truly amazing phenomenon and here’s 5 reasons why:
- During sleep, several complicated physical and physiological processes occur. Brain wave frequencies, metabolism, heart rate, breathing all change frequency. During REM sleep the body is even paralyzed, as a means of self-protection to stop you from acting out your dreams and risk injuring yourself.
- The body’s circadian clock is an internal 24-hour cycle that controls the balance between wakefulness and sleepiness. Often in today’s world, this natural timekeeper is disrupted by factors such as bright lights from electronics, too much caffeine and alternating week/ weekend sleep schedules. However, those who go to sleep and wake up at the same time each morning will develop the ability to reliably wake up each morning at the same time, without a need for an alarm clock
- Sciences consistently shows that those who sleep more are healthier. Adequate sleep helps ward off cancer and lower risk of developing heart disease or suffering a stroke. The immune systems of those who sleep enough are stronger than those who do not. Good sleepers live longer too. Essentially, along with good diet and exercise, sleep is the key to well-being and a vital part of our life cycle.
- Sleep plays an important role in memory processing and consolidation. Effective memorization relies on adequate sleep. Memory affects decision making, reasoning and other cognitive processes. Those who sleep enough are shown time and time again to perform better under test circumstances and deal with stress better than those who deprive themselves of sleep.
- Sleep also promotes mental well-being, creativity and productivity. Sleep reduces silly blunders, improves decision-making skills and enhances rational thinking ability. Those who sleep enough each night tackle their daily tasks with ease and can get more done in a shorter amount of time
Is there anything about sleep that amazes you? Let us know in the comments!